State The Problem:
The increase in "greenhouse gases" that are leading to global warming are a major problem.
* NASA's Surface Temperature Analysis indicate the average temperature of the Earth’s surface has increased by about 1.2 to 1.4ºF since 1900.
* Even a warming in just the middle range of scientific projections would have devastating impacts on many sectors of the economy. Rising seas would inundate coastal communities, contaminate water supplies with salt and increase the risk of flooding by storm surge, affecting tens of millions of people globally.(Environmental Defense.)
* Greenhouse gases lead are the major cause to Global Warming.
* If greenhouse gases continue to increase, climate models predict that the average temperature at the Earth's surface could increase from 2.5 to 10.4ºF above 1990 levels by the end of this century.(U.S. Environmental agency)
*Over the last 100 years, the level of the sea has risen about 6-8 inches worldwide.
*The Earth has warmed about 1ºF in the last 100 years. And the four warmest years of the 20th century all happened in the 1990s(EPA for Kids
* Human activities including the burning of fossil fuels are releasing harmful gases into the atmosphere.
* Humans driving short distances in cars when walking or biking could be perfectly acceptable is a reason for the increased amount of greenhouse gases caused by humans.
* The amount of greenhouse gases are causing the earth to stay heated and melting massive ice sheets which will in turn raise ocean levels and eliminate coastal residences and industries.
*Land fills are producing methane which contributes adds greenhouse gases.
*Deforestation is helping the gases get into the atmoshpere.
*The Industrial Revolution was a time period where there was a lot of mass production going on and many factories emitted harmful gases into the air.
A possible solution to this problem is to cut down on the amount of CO2 humans produce through their use of gasoline and oil to run cars. The burning of fossil fuels. And the use of natural gas.
Another solution to this problem would be to find a way to regulate the amount of Co2 in the atmosphere and be able to control that amount.